For four servings you will need:
- 1 lb. beef chuck or round, fat trimmed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ tsp grated fresh ginger or
- ½ tsp ground
- ¼ cup salad oil
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red or green peppers cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
For eight servings, double the ingredients but reduce the water to 1¾ cups. Add another ½ Tbsp cornstarch.
- With a very sharp knife, cut beef across grain into thin strips, ?-inch thick.
- Combine soy sauce, garlic, ginger. Add beef. Toss and set aside while preparing vegetables.
- Heat oil in large frying pan or wok. Add beef and toss over high heat until browned. Taste meat. If it is not tender, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes over low heat.
- Turn heat up and add vegetables. Toss until vegetables are tender crisp, about ten minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with water. Add to pan; stir and cook until thickened.
- Add tomatoes and heat through.